“Following his victory at the battle of Sekigahara in 1600, Ieyasu ordered the construction of Sasayama Castle to help surround Osaka Castle. The Buke Machi was placed strategically to guard the Honmaru (the castle’s keep). The former Samurai Quarter was located on the west side of the castle. In 1830, most of the samurai houses were burned down by a big fire. For its reconstruction, berms and mud walls were placed, and the main rooms were set about 3.64 meters away from the mud walls. The Okachimachi Samurai Houses were designated a Traditional Architectures Preservation District in December 2014.”